Thursday, August 16, 2012

A taste of success

Whole wheat, no-milk, fresh-picked-blueberry muffins
Okay, I gotta brag just a little here, mostly because I've totally surprised myself. So if you know me at all, you probably know I'm terrible in the kitchen. I have yet to master the art of cookie-baking, or even venture into much creativity with my regular meals.

But the 48 oz. tupperware of blueberries sitting in my fridge has been burning a hole in the shelf, so tonight I figured it was time to do something about it.

I was limited on ingredients. Rained in by a violent storm off the sea, I didn't feel like walking to the store, so I invoked the powers of the almighty Google and miraculously found a blueberry muffin recipe that contained all the random ingredients I could dig up in the kitchen.

The result? Absolutely delicious whole wheat, no-milk blueberry muffins. For being my first attempt at making muffins, I am blown away. In case you ever find yourself with a massive tub of blueberries and some random ingredients, here's the recipe (adapted from what I found online):

  • 1/2 cup Crisco, plus a tablespoon of water (recipe called for 1/2 cup margarine, so this was the substitute I found)
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 cups fresh blueberries 
  • 1/2 cup almond milk 
  • A squirt of lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line muffin pans with paper liners. Mix together Crisco, sugar and salt then beat in the eggs one at a time. Combine the flour and baking powder in another bowl and then add blueberries to this mixture, making sure all blueberries are coated.

Fold the flour mixture into the mixture of eggs/Crisco/sugar carefully while alternately adding in the almond milk and the squirt of lemon juice.

Bake for 25 minutes or until muffin tops are just golden brown. Recipe was supposed to make 18, but mine only made 16, which is fine.

YUM! I wish I could send them to everyone back home!

1 comment:

  1. They look fabulous; wish I could taste one. Nice job, Andrea! GPEd

    ReplyDelete