Friday, April 26, 2013

First Law of Alaska Dynamics...

You may or may not be familiar with it. The First Law of Alaska Dynamics: The closer you get to the middle of nowhere, the smaller your planes get. 

Case in point:



These 4 planes are my 23 hour ride back to Nome, Alaska, 35 days from now. I officially booked my flight today on the last $513 ticket remaining (prices skyrocket fast). 

I can't believe how different it feels going back a second time, as opposed to how I felt last year. A year ago, I was scared to death of what the next 9 months would bring; in all honesty, I wasn't even sure if I could survive it, psychologically or physically. But I knew I had to try because if I didn't, I would never know. 


And now going back, instead of waiting for doom by the seat of my pants, I feel more prepared (although the unexpected will inevitably nullify that), ready to try things I was afraid to try before, and excited to take on the challenges of this summer. 

I have to keep reminding myself that my job will have the same risks as -- if not more than -- it had before, and perhaps feeling like I'm prepared and more confident is the biggest risk of all. But this year I challenge myself to be braver, to master fear, and to take those calculated risks with strength. What better place to start than the Middle of Nowhere, Alaska?


No comments:

Post a Comment