Friday, June 15, 2012

Gear list


Nine months. Three seasons. Office work. Backcountry work. Backpacking. Flying. Snowshoeing. Snowmachining. Who knows what else. Point is, this trip is going to take a lot more gear than I'm used to traveling with. Here's the preliminary packing list I've come up with so far:


Clothing:

  • 1 Outdoor Research Stormbound Jacket
  • 3 base layer pants
  • 3 base layer long sleeve shirts
  • 1 fleece vest
  • 1 fleece sweater
  • 1 light jacket/hoodie
  • 2 snow pants
  • 3 jeans
  • A few T-shirts
  • A bunch of socks (2 Smartwool, 2 wool)
  • 1 pair snow boots (rated to -25 F)
  • 1 pair hiking boots
  • 1 pair sneakers
  • 1 set of raingear
  • 1 pair of gloves
  • 1 winter beanie
  • 1 swim suit (for the hot springs)

Backpacking: (Only a partial list, as most gear will be provided by employer)

  • Hydration pack
  • Water bottle
  • Mess kit
  • Knife
  • Sleeping bag
  • Insect repellent 
  • First Aid kit
  • Compass
  • Flint/matches
  • Duct tape
  • Ziplocs
  • Headlamp
Other:
  • Toiletries
  • Sun glasses
  • Binoculars 
  • Camera 
  • Extra Batteries
  • Cell phone
  • Laptop
  • iPod
  • Notebook and pen
  • Small day pack/bag
I'll likely be adding to this, but if you ever wondered what goes into packing "light" for 9 months near the arctic, this is kind of what it looks like. 

2 comments:

  1. FIRST! At least, I think I'm the first poster...just found out I could comment...

    Anyways. Reading that packing list makes me anxious. I've had the urge to travel for a good week now, and your blog just adds to that =P. Also! I googled Nome, and it is hilariously small and in the middle of nowhere, lol. With such sights as "The Polar Cafe" and roads ranging from "Out of the Way Road" to "Fore and Aft Road", it looks awesome, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! You are the first comment! And glad I inspired a little wanderlust in you too. ;)

    ReplyDelete