Saturday, August 30, 2014

The DSLR Saga

When I first took this job in Sitka back in mid-April, my goal was to buy a DSLR camera with my second paycheck. My savings had dwindled to a frightening level after 3 months of winter travel. But I had my mind set on purchasing my first professional quality camera after having fallen so deeply in love with photography from my last job in Nome. It was like learning to paint with oils, and then moving away and only having crayons to use.

Well, my second paycheck came. Then my third. Then my fourth. Unexpected expenses arose, student loans nagged to be paid, the cost of living out here was more than I anticipated. I realized I couldn't just spare an entire paycheck to throw to my frivolous dream of owning a nice camera. So I got a second job.

As I've mentioned before, waitressing is not exactly my cup of tea, but I've always been taught that sometimes you need to do some things you don't like in order to get to what you do like. This summer has been a good example of that, and it feels good to know that I'm finally reaching my goals AND I've worked my butt off for them. It really hasn't been that bad, either -- I love my 40 hours a week as a park ranger enough that I can put up with 15 hours of hell on the side.

What's more, I'm a strong believer in having the right tools for the job (even if that job is just a hobby at this point). As I'm looking to explore media more for my graduate studies, I see this as an investment in my future. Taking all these factors into consideration, you can see now how badly I've been wanting to get this camera. I promise, I'm not completely crazy.

Well, some 12 paychecks later and 5 months into the summer, I finally made the big purchase today.  In two weeks when it arrives, I will be the proud new owner of a Nikon D7000, with an 18-105mm lens. It's a huge investment, but I'm hoping it will pay off.

Despite the mini-heart attack I had when I first hit the "purchase" button, I feel so good! I can't wait to receive it and start posting the millions of photos I plan on taking my last few weeks in Sitka! Thanks to everyone who has morally supported me through this crazy summer, given me all sorts of great camera advice, and helped me remember why I'm here. I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment